Some people will tell you that open houses don’t really work anymore. But they do – if done right. A memorable open house can be a highly effective marketing tool if it is top notch and, well, memorable. The idea is to fill your home with genuinely interested potential buyers – not just tire kickers –who will be so impressed with the open house that some of them will submit offers. To help you do that, here are 5 ways to throw a memorable open house in San Bernardino & Riverside Counties.
1. Have Everything Ready
One of the key ingredients to throw a memorable open house is simply to be thoroughly prepared and have absolutely everything ready. Here’s what the experts suggest with respect to preparation and timing in order to make a great first impression:
- Stage it First – Make sure you stage your home to make it look as spacious as possible and ripe with possibilities for a new owner.
- Have a Sign-in Sheet – Just as with online marketing, you want to capture that valuable personal data – names, phone numbers, addresses, emails – so that you can follow up with those who showed interest.
- Print Up Flyers – You should have printed beforehand quality flyers to distribute to visitors so they can have all the necessary information in their hands.
- Time It Right – Potential buyers won’t come if it is inconvenient. So to throw memorable open house in San Bernardino & Riverside Counties, it needs to be when people can attend, and that usually means on weekends.
- Do It When Others Do – It’s also a good idea to hold your open house when other people in the area are throwing open houses. Potential buyers are already out and about and so are more likely to visit your home.
2. Theme It
If you really want to throw a memorable open house, you need a theme. Because many buyers will visit several open houses in a day, having a theme will make yours stand out. The trick is to make it fun and memorable without going overboard or being cheesy. You could, for example, have an open house theme that complements the style of your home. So if yours is a Tudor-style home, you might serve drinks in goblets. Your agent can help you plan out an effective open house theme. (To discover more, call 866-593-7012.)
3. Hold a First-Look Open House
Many realtors swear by the first-look strategy as a great way to throw a memorable open house in San Bernardino & Riverside Counties. It’s an excellent way to generate buzz because you hold the open house as soon as or right after it hits the market. It works on the principle of exclusivity: people are more likely to come with more interest because they know they will be among those exclusive first few to view your home. It often happens that if you list your home (especially online) and then hold an open house right after listing, your home will sell more quickly and at a better price. Greater exposure and more competition often translate into a better sale price.
4. Make It an “Extreme” Open House
Another tactic to throw a memorable open house in San Bernardino & Riverside Counties is the “extreme” open house. This is an open house event that will set your home and your open house well above similar ones, as well as serving to showcase your home in the best way. Typically, an extreme open house involves a chef cooking appetizers in your well-appointed kitchen, catered refreshments, entertainment, and/or prizes. The idea is to make prospective buyers feel as though they are getting the VIP treatment. The obvious drawback here is that these events can be very expensive. But they do work, so the expense can usually be justified.
5. Include Neighbors
Your neighbors may not be in the market for a new home, but you should still invite them to your open house. Although you may not want nosy neighbors at your open house, inviting them can pay off in a couple of ways. First, prospective buyers will have a chance to meet your neighbors and so get a feel for the neighborhood. Neighbors with kids in school, for example, can tell buyers all about the local school system. In addition, you never know who your neighbors may invite or bring along with them. You neighbor just might bring a relative or friend who is indeed in the market for a new home. It’s just another way to extend your marketing reach while throwing a memorable open house.
So an open house doesn’t have to be the boring affair that a lot of people perceive it to be, but if done right can be exciting, memorable, and highly effective. One word of caution, though: we suggest that you don’t try to do it all on your own. Your local real estate agent can help you plan for and throw that memorable open house in San Bernardino & Riverside Counties.